Slow Cooker Smashed Potatoes
by Lindsey McConnell, Communications Director 2023
“Mashed potatoes are the perfect companion to almost any protein! I love this recipe because, during the holidays, stove space is at a premium.”
8 cups halved baby red potatoes
1/2 cup broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 brick (about 125 g) cream cheese, softened and cubed
1/2 cup? whipping cream or milk
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp thinly sliced green onion
- Place potatoes, broth, garlic, salt and pepper in a 4 quart slow cooker and stir to coat potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting, stirring once every 2 hours, until potatoes are soft and mashable, about 3 1/2 – 4 hours.
- Add cream cheese, whipping cream and nutmeg. Smash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Stir in parsley and green onion.
1. If using a reconstituted bouillon cube instead of broth, be aware of how much salt is in the cube. You can add salt to taste near the end of the recipe (as opposed to the 1 tsp during cooking) if you aren’t sure your potatoes will be too salty.
2. If you want to use fresh garlic, use 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped. Garlic may turn green/blue during cooking, but it is still safe to eat.